There are a large numbers of memoirs, sections of books, field guides and pamphlets that deal with aspects of Lochaber’s geology.
There are many excellent text-books dealing with the general geology and scenery of Scotland. Lochaber features many times in all of them. The most comprehensive is Trewin N.H., Ed. (2002) The Geology of Scotland. The Geological Society, London, pp. 576. £32.78
More popular treatments are:
- Gillen, C. (2nd Ed 2013) The Geology and Landscapes of Scotland. Dunedin Academic Press, pp 246. £24.99
- Gannon, P. (2012) Rock Trails: Scottish Highlands. Pesda Press, pp 253. £14.95
- The Caledonian calderas and the Palaeocene volcanism of Lochaber are treated for a popular audience in:
Upton, B.G.J (2004) Volcanoes and the making of Scotland. Dunedin Academic Press, pp 247. £24.99
British Geological Survey (Scotland) Memoirs
These accompany 1:50,000 or older, 1 inch:1 mile, geological map sheets.
- Sheet 44 Bailey, E.B. (1924) Tertiary and post-Tertiary Mull, Loch Aline and Oban. £15
- Sheets 51 and 52 Richey, J.E. (1930) Ardnamurchan, north-west Mull and Coll. £20
- Sheet 53 Bailey, E.B. (1960) Ben Nevis and Glen Coe (2nd edition). £15
- Sheet 60 Emeleus, C.H. (1997) Rum and adjacent islands. £22
- Sheet 63W Key, R.M. (1997) Glen Roy district. £25
British Geological Survey – British Regional Geology
- The Northern Highlands of Scotland (4th Ed 1989) Johnstone, G.S. & Mykura, W. £12
- The Grampian Highlands (4th Ed 1995) Stephenson, D. & Gould, D. £12
- The Palaeogene Volcanic Rocks of Scotland (4th Ed 2005) Emelius, C.H. & Bell, B.R. £18
British Geological Survey – Classic Areas of British Geology
Glencoe Caldera Volcano, Scotland (2006) Kokelaar, B.P. & Moore, I.D. £18
Geological Conservation Review series
Published jointly by Natural England and Scottish Natural Heritage under the direction of the Joint Nature Conservation Committee, the following volumes contain descriptions of sites in Lochaber:
- Emeleus, C.H. and Gyopari, M.C. (1992) British Tertiary Volcanic Province, Geological Conservation Review Series, No. 4, Chapman and Hall, London, pp 259.
- Gordon, J.F. and Sutherland, D.G. (1993) Quaternary of Scotland, Geological Conservation Review Series, No. 6, Chapman and Hall, London, pp 695.
- Gregory, K.J. (ed.) (1997) Fluvial Geomorphology of Great Britain, Geological Conservation Review Series, No. 13, Chapman and Hall, London, 348 pp.
- Stephenson, D., Bevins, R.E., Millward, D., Highton, A.J., Parsons, I., Stone, P. and Wadsworth, W.J. (1999) Caledonian Igneous Rocks of Great Britain, Geological Conservation Review Series, No. 17, Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Peterborough, pp 648.
- Cooper, R.G. (2007) Mass Movements in Great Britain, Geological Conservation Review Series, No. 33, Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Peterborough, 348 pp.
- Mendum, J.R., Barber, A.J., Butler, R.W.H., Flinn, D., Goodenough, K.M., Krabbendam, M., Park, R.G. and Stewart, A.D. (2009) Lewisian, Torridonian and Moine Rocks of Scotland, Geological Conservation Review Series, No. 34, Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Peterborough, 722 pp.
Geological field guides
These guides are directed towards professional geologists, student parties or keen amateur geologists:
- Gribble, C.D., Durrance, E.M. and Walsh, J.N. (1976) Ardnamurchan – a guide to geological excursions. Edinburgh Geological Society, pp.120, £6.50
- Pattinson, D.R.M. and Harte, B. (2001) The Ballachulish igneous complex and aureole – a field guide. Edinburgh Geological Society, pp.148, £9.50
- Emeleus, C.H. and Troll, V.R. (2008) A geological excursion guide to Rum. Edinburgh Geological Society, pp.149, £8.73
- Palmer, A., Lowe, J. and Rose, J. (2008) Quaternary of Glen Roy and vicinity: field guide. Quaternary Research Association, London, pp. 224. Available on request.
- Strachan, R., Friend, C., Alsop, I. and Miller, S. (2010) An excursion guide to Moine geology of the Northern Highlands of Scotland. Edinburgh Geological Society, pp.297, £17.99. (Excursions 2, 3 and 4 are in Lochaber).
Small guidebooks for a general readership
- BGS and SNH produced a series of 40 pp. high-quality, illustrated coloured booklets under the general title ‘A landscape fashioned by geology’. Three booklets apply to Lochaber: Ben Nevis and Glen Coe; Rum and the Small Isles; Glen Roy. They are available free of charge.
- Hudson, J. and Allwright, A. (2003) The geology of Eigg. The Isle of Eigg Heritage Trust, pp.56.