Lochaber Geopark Association
The Lochaber Geopark was formed in 2006 and was a member of the European Geopark Network (EGN) and Global Geopark Network (GGN) until 2011. Lochaber Geopark are now in the process of reapplying to join the networks.
“Lochaber Geopark is a community based organisation with the overall vision to ensure that the Lochaber area gains the maximum benefit from its rich geological heritage.”
Lochaber Geopark Association Aims
- Raise awareness of Lochaber’s outstanding geology and geomorphology, both locally and beyond the area.
- Promote awareness and appreciation of the links between the geological heritage, the natural heritage, the cultural heritage, the landscape and land use in Lochaber.
- Encourage and support the sensitive interpretation of Lochaber’s geological heritage.
- Encourage and support economic and social development based on Lochaber’s geological heritage.
- Encourage educational initiatives, training opportunities and research activities that relate to Lochaber’s geological heritage.
- Encourage and promote the sustainable use of geological resources in Lochaber.
Funding & collaboration
Lochaber Geopark is funded by the Scottish Government as well as Scottish Natural Heritage, The Highland Council, HIE Lochaber, Leader+, The Heritage Lottery Fund and The Robertson Trust.
Lochaber Geopark Association also works with a wide range of local and national organisations including:
- John Muir Trust
- The Association of Lochaber Community Councils
- Nevis Partnership
- Lochaber Chamber of Commerce
- British Geological Survey
- Forestry Commission
- National Trust for Scotland and Visit Scotland